Faculty’s building is a brand–new complex with an area of 28,572 m2. The building contains 54 laboratory modules (module = 4 laboratories + 4 office spaces) with a total area of 7000 m2. Complex of auditoriums consists of five lecture halls (in total 800 m2), four of them with capacity of 98 people (including 2 seats for wheelchair person) and the largest hall for 234 people (including 6 seats for wheelchair users) which additionally allows the performance of chemical demonstrations. A separate auditorium complex provides the possibility to organize conferences with parallel sessions.
Moreover the building also contains 10 lecture–seminar rooms for 50 people each, 14 seminar rooms for 30 people each, 7 computer laboratories for 12 working stands each of a total area of 800 m2. Each room is equipped with a projector and additionally a sound system is installed in large auditoriums.
In the building there are 24 students laboratories with 12 stands each, of a total area of 2700 m2.
All laboratories (didactic and research) are equipped with modern laboratory furniture as well as fume cupboards produced by Flores Valles company. The equipment was made in accordance to the safety standards EN 1729 and UNI/EN 12727. Each laboratory provides deionized water point (central installation), special gas installations (nitrogen, argon, helium, dedicated gas), the point of compressed air and VAV installation for automatic ventilation control.
Faculty of Chemistry, University of Gdańsk is one of the most developing academic facilities conducting both, scientific research and education in the fields of Chemistry and Environmental Protection in Poland and abroad.
The faculty consists of 12 departments, which host 33 scientific laboratories and Division of Didactics and Popular Science :
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Biomedical Chemistry
- Department of Bioinorganic Chemistry
- Department of Environmental Analytics
- Department of Environmental Chemistry and Radiochemistry
- Department of Environmental Technology
- Department of General and Inorganic Chemistry
- Department of Molecular Biotechnology
- Department of Organic Chemistry
- Department of Physical Chemistry
- Department of Theoretical Chemistry
- Division of Didactics and Popular Science
The Faculty of Chemistry employs 43 professors and 13 dr hab, and over 1000 of students and 100 Ph.D. students attend classes and lectures.
The main areas of research activity of Faculty of Chemistry are:
- Chemistry and Biochemistry of Peptides and Proteins
- Chemical and Environmental Analytics
- Organic and Inorganic Physicochemistry
- Chemistry of Materials
- Chemistry of Polysaccharides
- Chemistry and Technology of the Environment
The world level of conducted research is possible thanks to modern scientific equipment. The results are published in a number of research publications/papers (over 500 publications from JCR list during 2016-2019). The Faculty has got the right to confer the Ph.D. title in the fields of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Environmental Protection. The faculty has a modern building to its disposal, which is one of the most sophisticated research-educational facility in Europe. An offer for abroad partners covers mainly scientific exchange under common scientific programmes and Ph.D. students exchange.